Friday 14 November 2014

casting

We're getting to the end of the Chaos and Order project now...

From the research stage some initial shapes popped out at me, alongside a sense that I wanted to try something new.  I've been feeling as though the 3D side had become secondary - so I really wanted to push for something that explored the third dimension.


Sketchbook in progress- bashing ideas around.  Amazing where you start to see shapes when you're obsessing!
some samples - ideas from cracks in pavement - trial enamelling - resin block.

 
Early in the block we were shown how to make a silicon mould - so I thought I would give it a go, with a view to making some resin pieces.  At this stage I didn't know what I wanted to do with the resin at all - apart from perhaps encase a piece of heated dropped pewter inside it.

First - the mould.  The key is getting the quantities of silicon to catalyst right - it's 20:1 by weight. 

the preparations - measuring out the quantities and the silicon in the cup.  Not much to see here!
 
I fixed my little wooden block (master) to the bottom of a cup with double-sided tape and s l o w l y poured the silicone mixture in... really slowly - I didn't put it in the de-gassing chamber so was hoping any bubbles would burst on the way down.  The cup was put to the side and forgotten about until the next day.

Success!
Great - the mould set nicely, and 24 hours later I could pop out my wooden master with ease.

I bought some lovely clear resin, put in my pewter piece and followed my resin-mixing instructions.  2:1 for the resin (resin to hardener) - again, I didn't bother with de-gassing the mix, just tried not to mix too roughly.


strange object in jelly?
I was quite happy with the outcome - although there were ridges on the resin - the mould had picked up every detail of the wooden surface.  It didn't turn out completely clear - it has a smoky translucent finish.
 
 
I sanded the faces of the block down further - from very rough to smooth (1000) emery.  Parts of the pewter became exposed and shone - I thought this little accident made attractive highlights.
 
So... what now?




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment